A few days ago, I took my life in my hands and changed my mobile phone service provider!
It' been on my mind for some time -- well ever since my contract ended at the end of January, that I would do this. But I rather made a mess of it. I didn't think it through properly and now I am paying the consequences by not having a cell phone at all and at the same time paying for two contracts.
My dissatisfaction with my provider, EE, T-Mobile, began a few years ago when I discovered the exorbitant roaming charges I had to pay when I was in France. Initially, there were at least choices to make over special deals for monthly periods -- though very limited data allowances. Then the monthly deals were no longer available and one had to pay even more for data for periods as short as one week! All this while it was known that within a two year period of time these 'roaming charges' would be curtailed. As of this year all providers will provide the same service as in the UK. However, two years ago I discovered that '3' was offering no charges in most EU countries, as well as Australia and the USA! I bought a special 'mobile' service which gave me 10 gigabytes of data a month in France, which me kept me online throughout the summer for the first time since dial-up connections were no longer a choice!
Now, as of this year, all UK servers offer the same service as in the UK while travelling in the EU. Which means that, if I had remembered this, I didn't need to change my provider at all. However, I was through with my contract and not very happy with what I consider to be the 'money grabbing ways' of EE.
Last Wednesday, having sorted out spectacles with Specsavers, I decided it would be a good time to sort out my service provider -- having just enough time to do so before leaving for France on June 11th. Stupidly, however, I failed to go first to EE to tell them I was changing. I went straight to Three and decided to get a Sim card only plan starting immediately. Nevermind that I would need to obtain a 'pac' code from EE, which took two days. I also didn't realize that EE demanded 30 days notice before ending a contract with them. Oops.
I also completely and stupidly forgot that my phone is not unlocked!! Oops! Oops! I received the 'pac code' very quickly the same day and just as quickly and stupidly phoned through through to Three with the number. Which meant that two days later my phone was no longer working and I was stuck because EE can take as long as 10 days to provide it. Ooops! Ooops! Ooops!
Sometimes, 'biting the bullet' means you get shot...